Translate

Saturday, January 19, 2013

The suffering and Death of Jesus part 2

34) Prophecy: The feet and hands of Jesus would be pierced
Old Testament Reference: Psalm 22:15-16; Zechariah 12:9-10
New Testament Fulfillment: John 19:33-35, 20:25-27
  

Psalm 22:15-16 

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.16 Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me,they have pierced  my hands and my feet.

  Zechariah 12:9-10

 On that day I will set out to destroy all the nations that attack Jerusalem.
10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

 John 19:33-35

 33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. 35 The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe.

 John 20:25-27

 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.”26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

 

35) Prophecy: Jesus would be considered a criminal and receive punishment    Old Testament Reference: Isaiah 53:12                                                              New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 23:33 

Isaiah 53:12 

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong,  because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

  Luke 23:33

 33 When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left.

 36) Prophecy: Some would shake their heads at Jesus while he suffers              Old Testament Reference: Psalm 22:7-8; 109:25                                                 New Testament Fulfillment: Matthew 27:39-43; Luke 23:35

Psalm 22:7-8

 All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads:“He trusts in the Lord; let the Lord rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.”

  Psalm 109:25

 25 I am an object of scorn to my accusers;
    when they see me, they shake their heads.

 

Matthew 27:39-40

 39 Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads 40 and saying, “You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment